Expenses Credit for Child & Dependent Part 2 Income Tax 2023

As the tax season is upon us, it’s essential to stay up-to-date on the latest changes and updates to tax laws and regulations. The IRS has made several changes to tax laws for the 2022 tax year, including changes to dependent care benefits, personal exemptions, and more. In this blog, we will dive into some of these changes and what they mean for taxpayers

Dependent Care Benefits

The changes to dependent care benefits under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 have expired for 2022. The maximum amount that can be excluded from an employee’s income through a Dependent Care Assistance Program is $5,000 ($2,500 if married filing separately). If you’re filing your taxes and have dependents, you will need to report your dependent care benefits on Form 2441, Line 12.

Temporary Special Rules for Dependent Care, Flexible Spending Arrangements (FSAs)

Section 214 of the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2020 provides temporary COVID-19 relief for dependent care FSAs. This legislation allows employers to amend their dependent care plan to allow unused amounts to be used in subsequent years. Any unused amounts from 2020 and/or 2021 are added to the maximum amount of dependent care benefits allowed for 2022. For more information, see the Line 13 instructions in the instructions for Form 2441, Notice 2021-15 and 2021-10.

Personal Exemption Suspension

For 2022, you can’t claim a personal exemption for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents. The personal exemption system was suspended for the 2022 tax year, meaning you won’t be able to deduct any personal exemptions when filing your taxes this year. This system was in place for a long time, and it allowed taxpayers to reduce their taxable income by claiming exemptions for themselves, their spouses, and their dependents. However, there are still many other deductions and credits available that can help you save money on your taxes. It’s crucial to consult with a tax professional or use tax software to ensure that you’re taking advantage of all the deductions and credits that you’re eligible for.

Amount of Credit

To get the amount of credit, you should fill out Form 2441. The amount of the credit is a percentage of the qualified expenses you paid to a care provider for the care of one or more qualifying persons. The percentage depends on your adjusted gross income (AGI). The credit percentage can be anywhere from 20% to 50% of your qualified expenses, with a maximum credit of $1,050 for one qualifying person or $2,100 for two or more qualifying persons.

Child and Dependent Care Credit

If you pay someone to care for your dependent who is under 13 years of age, or a spouse or dependent who is not able to care for themselves, you may be eligible for the credit for child and dependent care expenses. The purpose of this credit is to provide financial assistance to individuals or families who need to pay for child or dependent care services so that they can work or look for work.

Amount of Credit

The amount of credit that you can claim is based on the qualifying expenses incurred during the tax year. The maximum amount of expenses that you can claim for one qualifying person is $3,000, or $6,000 for two or more qualifying persons. The credit is calculated as a percentage of the qualifying expenses and ranges from 20% to 35%, depending on your adjusted gross income.

Taxpayer Identification Number

When claiming the credit for child and dependent care expenses, you must provide the name and Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) of each qualifying person. Generally, the TIN will be the Social Security Number of each qualifying person. This is necessary because the IRS sees each qualifying person as a number and needs to ensure that the correct credit is applied.

Household Employer

If you pay someone to come to your home and care for your dependent or spouse, you may be considered a household employer and may be required to pay employment taxes, including Social Security and Medicare taxes. However, if the person who cares for your dependent or spouse does so at their home or place of business, you are usually not considered a household employer.


The credit for child and dependent care expenses can provide valuable financial assistance to families who need to pay for care services for their dependents. To claim the credit, you must meet the eligibility criteria, provide the TIN of each qualifying person, and calculate the credit based on your qualifying expenses. If you have any questions or need further guidance, please consult Form 2441 and its instructions or seek the assistance of a qualified tax professional.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *